View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 10:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Crazy

[QUOTE=jeffntate;1014206]No, I cannot continue like I have been doing. The pain alone has driven me to stop playing golf, stop fishing and boating, stop attending Boy Scouts, and even now has driven me to not want to go out to eat with my family. I can barely manage to work, then come home and crash each day. I still work full time, but it is becoming harder and harder to make it through the day. Neck pain turns into a bad headache, the kind which feels like someone is stabbing you in the eyeball.

My right arm is really beginning to bother me. It hurts all the time now, in all parts except not in my bicep for whatever reason. My right hand feels like a bad case of writer's cramp, except I have done no writing. Handwriting is getting sloppy too. Right arm is definitely weaker.

I have been seen by a neurosurgeon and orthopedic spine surgeon about 15 months ago, and both noted stenosis and symptoms, but neither saw any signs of myelopathy at the time, though the ortho did note a positive Hoffmann sign (reflex issue - with the right arm, of course).

I am 3 weeks out from an ACDF at C 4-5 & removal of hardware of previous ACDF of C 6-7. I went 10 years between surgeries.I had recently started to have arm & leg weakness and jerking in my writing hand and tremors. Went to neurologist who scared the begeezuz out of me. I flunked my neuro exam and had a rather intense clonus and hyperreflexia in my right leg and foot. Diagnosed with myelopathy. Neuro told me if he gave me an anti-spam med like Baclofen that I would most likely not be able to stand because the spasms were the only thing keeping standing. Talk about being freaked out!

I hightailed it to my neurosurgeon who treated me with steroids until surgery could be done. In my case, I waited to have surgery until I had symptoms, but think I pushed it a little too close. I am having a good recovery and guess I will find out in a few months how much function will be returned.

I understand being anxious, especially with your ankylosis diagnosis. Talk with your doctor about your concerns and make an informed decision.
BellaLea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (09-15-2013)