View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 12:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Don't give up

Rake,

I went down a similar path. 10 years of pain, L5-S1 herniation and finally rupture. Couldn't take it anymore and went for a micro-discectomy and partial lamenectomy (sp?). Temporary success and then another 4 years of pain. Tried every sport & therapy known to man. Then a year ago a friend talked me into cycling. Absurd I thought but he was relentless. I've now been riding for a year, 50+ miles per week (not a lot but lots of hills) and I am virtually pain free. from the first ride it just worked. Illogical to be bent over on a bike but it worked. Not that it will work for you but point is to keep trying and hopefully you will find something that will work. AS to surgery, my surgeon told me simpley this; we are like cardboard and once cardboard has been bent it is never the same. So I'm not as big on getting cut as others. And btw, I went to 4 different surgeons and all told me I needed to be fused. Go figure but I rode 15 miles this morning and will probably go another 10 this evening......
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
It does my heart good to know that there are at least "some" that have good results with your level of back surgery.

For me, it was not the case. I was in moderate pain most of the time pre surgery and had some severe pain from time to time but only when I did things I should not be doing.

After my S1/L5 rods/screw etc.....I have been in severe pain ever since.

Before surgery I seldom took pain meds..........now I am on them 7 days a week and still stay in more pain than before surgery.

Again, I'm glad someone had a happy ending.

Congrats,

Rake
buddysharp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (12-11-2013)