View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default ADHD and concussion

Concussion and adhd can be related because concussion can affect the same area of the brain as adhd does, namely the frontal lobe.

This is where executive fonctionning(decision making, organisation,), attention (auditive, visual, divided,selective attention) take place.

You can be genetically predisposed (usually you would have one parent with the condition: but a lot of people are not diagnosed: adults often discover it when they recognise they have the same symptoms and Learning/social difficulty as their child who just received the diagnosis).

In my case i was a straight A student with no Learning difficulty whatsoever!But that has changed with my concussion sustained in a car accident: i now have adhd.

Indeed, I now have difficulty retaining new information, I fall in a daze when i read,if there are two stimulus at once it si very hard for me to concentrate (diminished divided attention)...etc

So to answer your question: concussion can cause adhd or worsened it.

You need a neuropsychologist to complete an evaluation to find out. They will relate your past history, your symptoms and will be able to make the link between the two by doing a torough evaluation.if its the case so at least you will understand whats is going on with your brain.

One good news is that as time passes (even after 2 years) , your condition can still improve with proper rest and living hygiene.You are young and the odds are on your side!

On the other hand any other concussion can really worsened your condition, for good.

you have only one brain...choose carefully the sport activities you want to practice because concussion are "cumulative": they add up to each other and once your brain has been concussed it is more fragile to get concussed again.

Good luck !

Pepa
pepa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
music-in-me (09-16-2013)