10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsmom View Post
Hey rake,
1. how old is your son? He is 12
2. Was he born with TS? If not, how old at first symptom? around 3-4 yes old
3. What was his first symptom? Studder, picking lips, and needing to wear a coat at ALL times.
4. What type TS does he have? Is it Gilles? Gilles
5. Does he have vocal tics? Does he curse during said tics? He does have vocal tics but doesn't curse
6. Did he develop the OCD and anxiety after or at same time of TS? Both after
7. If the OCD and Anxiety came after, which one came first OCD or Anxiety? Anxiety
8. Besides the TS, which issue is worse on him, OCD or Anxiety? Anxiety
9. Is his anxiety and OCD worse after he has physical or vocal tics or do they stay the same whether he has tics or not? It gets worse w tics
10. How long does his anxiety last on average when it flares up? Depends on what the trigger was. Sometimes as little as 5 mins but usually 15 mins for the worst part to pass. However the remainder of the day is always ruff.
11. When he has anxiety how does it manifest itself normally? Does he become angry, have a hard time breathing, pace the floor, pull at his clothes or even want to take his clothes off? He has a hard time breathing, cry, he does pull at his clothes and wants a heavy coat to put on.
12. It almost goes without saying but does he have any friends (non-relatives) that he is comfortable with while he is ticking? Very important! His best friend has TS (shocker right) however he moved schools this year so he doesn't have one yet.

We didn't get a formal DX until a couple of months ago.

He has a lot of problems sleeping. His body cont to tics for a few hours after he had actually fallen asleep which takes him a while to fall asleep in the first place. Thanks for listening. Any advice would be more than welcome

Thanks
1. very common.

2. very common especially since he has Gilles TS. Children with TS but not Gilles TS are harder to diagnose at young ages (2-4) because the lack of vocal tics. Vocal tics usually start as a grunt.

A child that does not have Gilles form of TS is harder to catch at the ages of 2 or 3 simply because ALL children may jump/jerk/twitch a little from time to time due to any number of things so without the vocal it makes it very, very hard for ANY doctor to really diagnose and feel that they are 100% until the child is (on average) 8 to 10 years of age.

3. Studder is high on the first symptom list. Only until the mid 90's was studdering looked at as being a significant symptom of TS. Especially with very young children because lots and lots of children studder but may not have TS. Again, it is very hard for a doctor to really know 100% and for that reason they are very cautious about diagnosing TS until there are multiple symptoms that point to TS. Especially a MD and for that reason ALONE it is very, very important that a Mental health doctor and therapist be seen because they are much better with these type issues and for good reason.

I too wanted/had to wear a very large/heavy coat when I was a child when at school or out in public...or around ANYONE other than people I really trusted.

The coat made me feel more secure and I felt that my tics would not be as noticeable. Also, I'm sure while he is ticking you can hold him and his tics will get at least some better........sometimes they may get a little better just by him hearing your voice........well, the WEIGHT (you holding him) and COVER (same feeling he gets when you are comforting him) of the coat does the same thing just not as well as you can do. I'm sure you have already been told this by his doctors or therapist. If not, bring it up with them on next visit.

That coat has more power than you realize (unless you have already addressed this through therapy).

That coat is nothing more than a TS security blanket. I still remember mine. I still have it. My mother kept it.

Never throw that coat away. Even after he moves past the point he is now that coat can and will help him through some bad times as he gets into late teens. TRUST ME!

He can look at it and think back how he overcame that obstacle and may help him face another.

He will most likely not want wear it or any heavy coat except in cold weather as he gets a little older. Why? Well, now he really does not realize that the coat simply draws more attention to him but as he gets older he will see it more and more and will at ALL COST try to fit in with the crowd. And that will mean the coat or ANYTHING out of the ordinary will go.

4. A lot of people including some doctors think that every TS sufferer has Gilles TS. Again, Gilles TS is more rare than people think. Gilles TS usually hits harder and takes longer to out grow (if he is one of the lucky ones). Almost all people that TS stays with them have Gilles TS.

5. It's a good sign that he does not curse. People with TS that have that issue almost never outgrow it not to mention they are usually the ones that meds do not help. I Know because that is what I have. Your lucky in that way. At least you can have some comfort in knowing that.

6. It's good that the OCD and anxiety did not come until later. That most likely means his ocd and anxiety are SITUATIONAL.........meaning it is brought on from him having to deal with the TS in general when around others.

My anxiety, ocd, depression and TS came all at the same time. When that happens (opinions differ greatly on this) it usually means they will always have it. That does not mean some if not all of the byproducts of TS cannot be controlled just that they will always have to deal with it in some way.

7. Anxiety is the number symptom that comes with having TS. The more severe the TS the more severe his anxiety will become.

Keeping him in therapy is the best med for anxiety. Do not be afraid of giving him meds for anxiety as the TS and anxiety can and will feed off one another and cause him to have behavioral issues that will stay with him for life.

Some people overcome there TS by overcoming the anxiety in itself. I think that anxiety is a byproduct of TS and that ocd is a byproduct of anxiety. Again, treat the anxiety and the ocd will most likely improve.

8. That's very common and is what I expected to hear. Again, treat the anxiety and the ocd will improve as the anxiety does.

9. That is also common and also a good sign. People that have severe anxiety all the time have a much less chance of overcoming it. That tells me that it is his TS causing anxiety which leads to the ocd. Again, treat the anxiety and the ocd will most likely follow. The TS on the other hand will HAVE to run its course even if treated.

10. Again, very common with children with TS.

11. Most likely he will go from wanting to wear a coat or what ever to wanting to wear less. By wearing less his breathing will APPEAR easier and he will most likely realize this as he gets older.

I went from wanting to stay covered up (hidden) to not wanting to wear clothes at all as I got older.

12. Him having someone to relate to is SO VERY IMPORTANT. I cannot say that enough. It is key.

What ever you do.........DO NOT help is disease by allowing him to withdraw from others no matter what you have to do.

He will have to face this as an individual at some point.

You can help him by keeping him as active as you can. Physical active is probably the very best med for him at this point.

Try to find at least one hobby or sport that he likes and push him toward it at all cost. But, DO NOT be one of those parents that seem to push their children to be GOOD at it.........remember, it is for him to have an outlet to use energy as the less energy his body has the less his tics will torment him not to mention it will also decrease his anxiety which is a win/win.

Also, is seems that children from all walks of life can relate when they are on a team.......such as basketball, football, baseball or any other organized sport.

On the other hand those SAME children would most likely not have ever even spoke to each other if they were not introduced as teammates.

My mother pushed me into playing sports and other things and it proved to be a key role in me being able to make and keep friends that looked over my disability as a child.

If you have any other questions I am MORE than glad to help if I can.

Rake
jrctherake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (11-10-2013)