Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Hi
I do just want to comment here that one really cannot say that these parameters are so well defined for everyone who has TS....one consistent thing about TS is how it can vary from individual to individual!

My son is now in his mid twenties, having been diagnosed when 10yo though with symptoms from toddlerhood (inherited TS from his dad/grandad etc) .....and he was a very very severe case, so much so that we initially thought it may be PANDAS aka PANS
However, once we got him on the natural treatments, along with CBT, that I have documented in another thread here, his improvement was nothing short of miraculous. Over the years I have encountered many others with genetic TS who have seen the same dramatic improvements....

So to say that if the severe symptoms (including coprolalia aka cussing tics) are present when you are younger, they will likely always be there is just not really accurate.
True there is not yet a "cure" for TS per se...but there are ways to help reduce the intensity of the symptoms (the tics and the co-morbid symptoms of OCD, anxiety, sensory integration dysfunction etc etc etc) dramatically, without meds or invasive procedures....although yes, some people prefer the meds, or have had positive results from DBS etc

Also, there can be many other causes of tics that resemble TS.
More and more information is coming out on the role of infections (PANDAS aka PANS or PITANDs), allergies(food and environmental) toxins and others in triggering tic related symptoms that are not related to the genetic disorder known as Tourette Syndrome, even though they manifest similarly.
I have been amazed over the years at how many kids are misdiagnosed with TS, and once the actual cause of their tics etc is determined, and correctly treated, it becomes clear they do not have TS.
And even for those who do have TS, correcting nutritional deficiencies, removing allergens and cleaning up toxicity and other "triggers" results in much improvement.

Anyway, just adding all that to your discussion as my son is living proof of someone who has genetic TS, manifest very very severely, yet showed dramatic improvement via natural treatments, so much so that if one met him today, you likely would not even know he has TS.

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
khakis (10-12-2014), Lara (11-10-2013)