View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 08:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post
Mine was.....

Janke, I think that's what nicd meant, that those who ERE approved after three denials, which things were we qualifying as our three "tries"......was it as Mz Migraine listed with an initial application, recon, ALJ denials and THEN an approval at the fed level OR multiple different/seperate applications, etc because nicd has a second application in. I think nicd understands that there is no magic formula.

I agree that it is important to clarify that point so that future readers of this thread won't think there is a secret way to guarantee SSDI approval by repeatedly applying.
I think that continuing to appeal and reapply shows that an applicant truly believes that they are disabled, but their belief is not sufficient evidence that they are disabled. I do not think that extra points are awarded for each application. It could be an indication that the applicant has more credibility or it could be an indication that the applicant is just more stubborn.

It is true that statistically, a higher percentage of applicants are approved at the hearing level than at the initial and reconsideration level. I think that explains the urban myth that everyone is denied the first two times and approved on the third. Could be that frivolous claims are weeded out; could be that early denials discourage some; could be that ALJ's are either more easily convinced or apply their own agenda; or it could be that time has shown that the early decisions were wrong because the condition did not get better.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote