Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi
I am rather surprised your doctor is suggesting a psych??? for what appears to be Sensory Processing Disorder(aka Sensory Integration Dysfunction) something that is very common in people with TS.

Many people with sensory issues find occupational therapy very beneficial.

In terms of psych help, some aspects of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) can help a bit with sensory processing issues, but it really is more an occupational therapy thing.

Although this website is specifically related to kids, it explains Sensory Processing Disorder well ( we used the book, along with OT, when my son was younger...very helpful!)
http://out-of-sync-child.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnt1989 View Post
Hello!
I hope everyone is doing well. I emailed my doctor to ask her opinion on something that has been going on. This is the email I sent her.

Hello,
I was hoping I could get your opinion on a couple things that have been going on.
Last night I got extremely irritable. I tried to ignore it, but certain things just really bothered me. I had to take off my pants because they bothered me. I went to bed and could only pull a little section of my blanket over the middle of me (my butt and stomach). The feeling of it on me bothered me.
It's not the first time, either. Sometimes my sister will randomly try to hold my hand or hug me or make physical contact in some way, but I just can't stand the feeling and I just can't let her. I know it seems rude to her, but I just can't handle it sometimes.
The store where I work painted the walls yellow inside. Bright yellow! There are times when I'm feeling this way that I have had to wear my sunglasses inside because the brightness just bothered me.
And, as always, feeling that irritable feeling or being uncomfortable causes me to tic really badly. I had to come home early from work one day because I couldn't handle my clothes, felt irritable, and couldn't handle how bright it was. I came home, stripped to my underwear and a sports bra after I had a shower and was fine.
Last night, I did the same thing; stripped to my underwear. I snuggled up to my boyfriend. That felt okay when nothing else did. I could only cover that certain part of my body and had to ditch my pillows.
Do you have any ideas about this? I'm fine if I can just remove whatever is making me uncomfortable. I would just appreciate any insight on this, though.

She replied and said that what I'm experiencing isn't unusual with TS and that she highly recommend seeing the psych she had me see once before. The problem is that it is two hours away and I don't have insurance. So, I'm afraid of going and there ending up being no point. I'm afraid I'll go up there and come home with another diagnosis added to the list and that's all.
Is there something I'm missing here? I emailed her back and asked her why she thought I should see the psych and what she thinks is going on. I'm still waiting for her to reply again.

If anyone has any input or ideas, I would really appreciate hearing your take on this!

Thanks!
Jasmine

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote