View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member

Thank you for your reply

I saw my dentist again today and he did recommend taking the tooth out. The swelling in my cheek has gone down but the numbness/tightness in my lower lip/chin is still there. Today is the 17th and my appointment to take the tooth out is the 25th.

Do you think that is to long to wait? I brought this up to the dentist and he said it could go either way. That wasn't to reassuring. What do you think? I just finished the antibiotics and im no longer in pain but he said he could see by the look of my gums that the infection is stil there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi sucre,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some help here.

You should call the dentist and tell him what is happening. Don't wait until monday.... call him today. His answering service will get a hold of him and he will call you back.

A note about root canal therapy that your dentist may not tell you. Once a tooth becomes infected, it remains infected. The tiny canals that contain nerve tissue cannot be cleaned out.... only the large canals can be. So even after the treatment is done, those tiny canals will still be infected. Even after the procedure is done...eventually the tooth will show signs of the infection and need to be removed.

The fact that he started the rc procedure and left it open to drain is a clear indication that the tooth is badly inflamed and infected. It is not healthy for you to have this tooth draining pus and bacteria into your mouth and digestive system.

The only way to cure the infection is to remove the source of the problem which is the tooth. Anything other than removal will not cure the infection.

You should call the dentist and report your symptoms to him and then consider the option of removing this tooth if you want to be rid of the infection for good.

Let us know how you are doing.

Bryanna

4663]hi I started getting intense acute pain in my tooth five days ago. the tooth had a recent filling about 2 months ago. I went to the dentist on day 2 and was told I had an infection and was given a five day antibiotic and an appointment for a root canal. on day 4 I woke up with a swollen cheek and numbness around my lower lip and general area of mouth that has infection. I went back to dentist and he opened tooth up took out the nerves and left it open and gave me additional one day antiobiotic. This procedure definitely helped with the pain but its been one day since and I still have the swelling and numbness. im scared of what ive read about that. Should I be worried? Should I go the er? can the infection spread or should I wait and let the antibiotics take effect?
[/QUOTE]
sucre is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote