Thread: Stupid doctors!
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy2012 View Post
Ya, but truthfully, how many doctors READ that list???

Then, how many know what the TRUE interactions of them are????

My mom is oh hydroclorothiazide and there is a specific interaction between that and vit D3 so I told my mom to mention to her dr that she is taking both.

Stupid dr didnt even know there is an interaction between the two. The reason I told mom to tell her is because SHE, the dr, told my mom to stop taking calcium at one of her visits, she said it was too much calcium can cause her to have a heart attack and her levels were too high.

Well, um, yesterday she said go ahead and take the D3 but there is a clear warning that those two together can cause high calcium serum. But my mom forgot that part and just asked if it was ok to take them together.

I simply do not trust dr's to know all the facts about supplements, and I have never had a dr read my list and ask a question or make a comment.

I too have a detailed list, just as Dr. smith and Idiopathic PN does. And frankly, if your (or your mom's) doctor does NOT read your medication list...then it's time for a new doctor. ALL my doctors read my medication list and thank me for it as well.

I also think it's partially the patient's responsibility to inquire about medications and interactions when seeing more then one doctor and being prescribed more then one thing. Patients have to be proactive. Older patients should have an advocate with them for this very purpose. Some doctors, as Mrs D says, don't know all about every medication. But a simple question to your pharmacist about possible interactions (and to look over the list) could be life saving.

Some doctors are just close-minded about supplements and that's a shame, but that doesn't mean someone should stop taking them.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote