View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Sadie,

If the surgeon feels that the surgical site is not healthy enough to receive the graft, then he will suture it closed and wait a few weeks or so to go back in an place the bone graft. He may see you in between that time to evaluate the healing. It all depends on what he finds at the time of the surgery.

The jaw bone heals very slowly. It takes about a full year before the bone is actually filled in completely. So to go back in to do the bone graft within a reasonable amount of time is not a big surgery.... less surgery than the extraction. Yes, he has to reopen the site and pack the graft into the socket.

The third surgery would be to place the dental implants and that surgery should wait until 4-6 months post op the bone graft. Earlier than that and the graft material may still be a bit mushy.

I hope I have answered your questions okay.... let me know!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie682 View Post
Thanks again for your help and patience, Bryanna. I guess that explains why he was unable to say whether or not he would be able to do the grafting at the time of the extraction, depending on what he finds in the socket. Does that mean I would then have to return for bone grafting, then wait another 3 months (or more), then have the implant? And would that separate bone grafting procedure mean opening the socket again? Sorry for all the questions but I am really nervous about the extraction itself (and part one of the resolution of the root canal issue) so even though I thought I asked the oral surgeon every possible question, I guess I missed a few!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote