View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi sucre,

That is so incredible that you cannot be seen by an oral surgeon of your choice! You should be able to see whomever you want to! What rubbish :/

I am glad that you are being seen sooner!

Things are the things that need to be done during a tooth extraction:

The tooth should be removed as gently as possible to avoid too much trauma to the bone.

The socket should be thoroughly debrided (scraped).... removing the periodontal ligament and all necrotic tissue and bone. This will also cause a good amount of blood flow...which is what you want to be able to form a healthy clot.

Bone grafts should only be placed in the socket if all of the above has been done and the cleaned out socket looks healthy.

Follow the post op instructions carefully. No rinsing for 24 hours. Then begin to rinse with warm salt water only..... NO mouthwash. You will do these rinses 3-4 times a day until the surgical hole closes over.... could be a few weeks. It is important to brush and floss all of your teeth as normal to keep the plaque down. You don't have to use toothpaste.... just use a moist or dry toothbrush for the first week. The idea is to remove the plaque and brushing/flossing will do that.

Prepare a nutritious soft food diet "menu" ahead of time to be eaten for several days. Veggie and fruit smoothies..... homemade soups... eggs...
nothing chewy, sticky, no seeds or rice, nothing spicy or hot in temperature. As the site heals you will gradually alter your diet accordingly.

Let us know how you're doing!
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucre View Post
Thanks bryanna

I called the dentist and now they are seeing me tomorrow Thursday to take the tooth out. I live in the uk so unfortunately under the nhs I cant ask to be sent to an oral surgeon unless the dentist refers me. also I wont be covered for an implant or bridge work because there is a huge gap. the tooth coming out is my second molar from the far right on the bottom

anything you think I should request he do during the extraction to better treat the infection?

thanks

[/QUOTE]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote