View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 10:08 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--to really get a look at your patterns and see what stage of metabolic dysfunction you may or may not be at, you might want to try a longer glucose tolerance test, with draws of both glucose and insulin every half hour through four hours.

This is the way I get it done, to monitor the reactive hypoglycemia I tend to get due to insulin resistance. In the insulin resistant/pre-diabetic, often the pancreas can produce enough insulin to keep blood sugar relatively in check, but often, due to resistance of the cells, it has to overproduce to do so, and so there is a big insulin spike in the first to second hour, followed by a considerable dip in blood sugar in the third to fourth hour, often down to hypoglycemic levels, then a re-normalization. But these patters are often missed unless one takes more frequent measurements and includes both a a fasting insulin level pre-drink, and insulin levels with the other draws for glucose levels.

Admittedly, sitting for four to five hours to do this is boring--and one cannot exercise, even walk much, during the process or the results get skewed. Bring a good book or an ipod.
Yikes, I brisk-walked after The first hour. I was bored with no wi-fi at the Lab-Corp. The book brought by my hubby was not of my interest. I asked the technician if I can walk and she said "no problem".

My endoc thinks that a 2-hour glucose test is sufficient in my case considering the normal numbers from the last 2 Aic's. In lieu of the 4-hour glucose, I am trying to get my numbers until the 3rd hour at home. Will this at least serve the purpose of trending (but accurate too)? My fingertips are becoming so sore!!!!

I know that the FBS is not a very good basis of monitoring, but I will mention it just the same, I always have normal results ranging from 81-98.

Thank you glenntaj.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote