Thread: Success story
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 11:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas19 View Post
John,

Congrats! A word of caution though. I sustained my first concussion from sparring in boxing...no loss of consciousness...just felt crummy for a few days, then the PCS kicked in and lasted about 8 months.

I returned to non-contact hockey after this, and I had a bump on the head from someone's shoulder (unintentional) and caused a second concussion. Just be careful, and maybe weigh out the pros and cons of playing again. Not saying to never play again, but maybe give yourself more time to recover than you think.

All the best!

Bas
Hi Bas, thanks for words of encouragement! Boxing is a weird thing. I remember 5 years ago, I did quite a few harder sparring sessions, even one where I was hit SQUARELY on the jaw by a guy who outweighed me by like 40 pounds at least, and I had NO concussion. This year, I remember getting punched directly in the face and that was the beginning of the first concussion.

How long did you wait between the boxing concussion and the hockey concussion? I understand the increased sensitivity to impacts. After my boxing concussion, I remember being hit on the jaw by a rebounded tennis ball and it made me feel a little "off".

I'm planning to give myself three years of symptom free exercise at maximal exertion.
JohnZ622 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote