Default When?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiopathic PN View Post
I had another 2-hour glucose test last month. the results are as follows:

Glucose, fasting 79
glucose, 1/2 hour 154
glucose, 1 hour 136
glucose, 2 hour 72

The results look the same as my first one last year. As expected, my endocrinologist has declared me to be "essentially normal". I would have been happy with these numbers. But my problem is the post-prandial numbers. I take my home testing seriously. I eat breakfast exactly the same thing, same measurements and alternate it with and without exercise. One morning, everything was normal, the 1 hour post prandial went up to only 136 and on the 2nd hour went down to 91. Another morning, the 1 hour post prandial was 192 and the 2nd hour was 126. This trend goes on several days. I take down everything that I eat, calories and carbs., time and medicines/supplements, activities.

In the morning, my sugar goes down as quickly as it goes down but at dinner time, the numbers are up until the 3rd hour. I am still in the process of experimenting my lunch and dinner foods finding the kind of food that spikes my sugar most.

What makes this whole thing frustrating is I am steadily losing weight. My pulmonologist strongly suggested that i should gain weight but how can I gain weight if whatever i put in my mouth spikes my sugar? I dont want this blood sugar to get out of hand because I already have Neuropathy. My appetite is good, in fact, I want to eat more but I control it. I am obsessed that I measure all my food to be balanced and yet diabetic friendly. Sometimes, i think maybe, I am too uptight in observing my food intake but when I become less vigilant, my sugar goes even higher. I am confused and becoming frustrated.

Mary
Hi Mary,

When did you have the test? Since we talked? I still believe that a 192 is NOT normal if everything, pancreas and liver, etc. are working perfectly.

If you only have one reading above 160 post prandial, that could be a fluke or a heavy carb but "normal" does not usually produce a 192. I am no doctor but I have personally seen doctor's ignore signs of insulin resistance until patient's hit the magic numbers outlined by the American Diabetes Association.

How often are you getting readings above 160? Your glucose test does look OK but again it is a point in time or rather just two hours of time. What is going on the other 22 hours in your day with your levels?

Hopeless
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote