View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 03:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Sorry I am tardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfw57 View Post
Hi all -

I am a 49 year old woman recently diagnosed with MP. I work in the computer industry so I sit for many hours a day and am not very active, with the exception of walking several times a week.

In an attempt to get back in shape I started doing some "gentle" yoga and I over stretched my hip flexor. A few weeks after that I had shooting, burning pain down my left outer leg and since then (about two months now) severe pain in my lower left back.

After two ER visits, two inconclusive MRIs and countless doctor visits, I was finally diagnosed with MP by my chiropractor. I believe mine was caused by an inflammation/aggravation of the tendon(s) in the pelvic area due to over stretching, combined with some muscle tightness in my hip and butt due to sitting for too long,, poor posture, etc.

I did recover almost 100% in about 3 weeks mainly due to a technique called Active Release Technique (ART) which is a soft tissue treatment performed by my chiropractor. Unfortunately, I had a relapse two weeks ago because I went back to work too soon and sat for too long. The second time my symptoms were the same but seemed to shift slightly to also include tenderness in my outer-lower back.

I think for me I have nerve entrapments going on in a few places: my pelvic area and outer lower back which seems to be consistent with the path of the femoral nerve. I'm hopeful that if I continue with the chiropractor and make the necessary lifestyle changes I can free myself of this condition. It has been a frightening time (as I'm sure you all can relate to).

None of the pain medications prescribed to me worked... Tramadol lessened the pain slightly, but not all the time. Has anyone had success with a specific pain medication when the pain gets severe? When it was at it's worst, I would resort to taking Flexeril since it would knock me out which was the only thing that would relieve the pain. Not a good long-term strategy, I know but I was desperate.

Also, I had a partial laproscopic hysterectomy two years ago, and I'm wondering if scar tissue can form over a long period of time... that it might be contributing to the problem. (Not sure if anyone can answer this question, but what the hell... thought I'd throw it out there anyway)

Am so thankful to have found this message board... seems this is a common problem, unfortunately.

Thank you to all and my best to everyone here,

Lisa
Hi Lisa,

I am sorry I am tardy with responding but I just discovered your post. I am a VERY long term sufferer with MP. After years, I finally discovered mine has resulted from surgery MANY years ago. When mine began, it would come and go with long periods in between episodes. As the years progressed, so did the frequency and intensity. For a long time, mine has been constant, with NO position for relief, just varying degrees of intensity. I have undergone physical therapy, oral medications, pain patches, TENS units, and more recently injections. The injections are the only thing that has given me any relief and has lessened the intensity. Have another one scheduled next month. Looking forward to it. Wish I could get one every week.

With many, MP will just be a temporary issue. Hope that proves to be the case for you.

Again, I am sorry it took me so long to see your post. Wishing you well.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote