View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 05:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
Since September 1, there were 2x incidences where my sugar went up to 192 and 187 on the 1st hour post-prandial. Take note that on both occasions, I ate exactly the same breakfast: 1/4 oatmeal with 1/4 blueberries and 1/2 banana and 2 white eggs.

One dinner of 1 cup of bitter melon, 2 pcs of chicken nuggets, 1 slice of beef and a medium boiled sweet potato, after 1 hour my sugar was 179, 2nd hour was 139 and 3rd hour was 102.

All meals from same period were either normal or above 150 but less than 160.

thank you.

Mary

Hi Mary,

It appears your body is making corrections in a relatively short amount of time and that is very good news. The question is why are you going out of normal range in the first place to make your body work at correcting? Something is going on and I would suggest that you keep an eye on your blood sugars occasionally. This is a long shot but at least worth mentioning...... have you calibrated your meter? I feel confident that your meter is giving you appropriate results but just wanted to mention that meters can be "off".

You are correct to have "some" concern as elevated blood sugar levels WILL affect your nerves. Even if your body is correcting and bringing them down, the fact that you reached higher levels than normal means your bodily systems are all dealing with the elevation even if just for short bouts.

According to the ADA, diabetics are considered "under control" if their A1C levels are below 7.0 BUT that does not mean that damage to body systems is not happening. That simply means that the diabetic has a "lower" risk of complications. I have never gone over 7.0 since I was diagnosed at 10.2 but I do have complications from my diabetes. If my blood sugar goes up, my ability to focus my eyesight goes out the window. My PN gets more severe. And I am "under control" according to the ADA. My docs are happy with my lab results. Am I happy with my highs and lows? Not at all. I strive to get them leveled out to no avail. My medications bring my highs down but I want to halt them from happening. My doc is afraid I will have too many BAD lows in order to prevent the highs from occurring at least for now.
I will continue to watch out for my BS, hopefully to prevent either further damage to the nerves or graduated to become pre-diabetic.

Btw, the meter has been calibrated and its doing fine.

Thank you.

Mary
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote