View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 02:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had a micro-disectomy/laminectomy in 2001. I had a a huge herniation, at L4/L5, and tried conservative treatment for a year (because my insurance wouldn't even let me go to a surgeon until after trying all that). When I finally saw a neurosurgeon, he said that I should have had surgery within 3 months of symptoms starting, because I probably had permanent nerve damage, but he thought the surgery would help with the severe sciatica and occasional leg numbness I was experiencing. He was right, I had immediate relief from the pain, but the numbness persisted (and has to this day.) I have had one relapse (more herniation at the same place, plus scar tissue complicating things), but that was helped by steroid injections, and the surgeon I saw that time didn't recommend another operation (and in this case, it would be fusion) until I get to the point where I am not able to walk relatively normally. I was tested by a neurologist, and found to have permanent nerve damage (I have a partially numb foot and leg, but it's much more tolerable than the pain of sciatica.) This surgeon also told me that had he been the original surgeon I saw, he would have recommended fusion at that point.

You could also look into a surgeon who works with artificial disks, to see if that is a possibility for you. Once you've had the laminectomy, that is likely not an option (or so I've been told).

You're very young and will likely heal quickly, so I'd seriously consider the surgery. If you have a minimally invasive procedure, you won't be out of commission for very long (I was traveling 3 months after my micro-disectomy/laminectomy). Since it looks like your herniation is growing, you should probably get something done. Just don't do any lifting for a long time afterwards. If you've got a young child, it could be difficult, but an elementary school child should understand and be able to help even. Or hire a cleaning service. (I couldn't vacuum for a good 6 months after my surgery.)

Was it worth it? I'd say yes. Although I'll never be 100%, I'm much better now.
supernova_krose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote