View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 01:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've had to have a LOT of dental work done this year. I've had 7 teeth pulled and two permanent bridges put in. For all of this I've had them sedate me so I don't even remember anything.

I told my dentist root canals were not an option. I've read there is a risk of spread when it comes to root canals and it is better to just have the teeth pulled. I have also read up a lot on root canals and I don't like what I read. A root canal takes care of the pain (assuming there is no spread) but it doesn't kill the infection in the tooth. Over time this can result in a weakened tooth and possible spread of that infection (this is for everyone...not specific to patients with RSD). I read up a lot on this after (this year) a tooth I had a root canal in when I was a child (many many years pre-rsd) snapped off at the gum line. Last month the same thing happened to my mom where her two front teeth just snapped off at the gum line. Both of those teeth had had root canals.

So...I personally wouldn't recommend a root canal and I would recommend trying to find a sedation dentist to do the work. I feel much more comfortable going that route...if for no other reason than I am MUCH less stressed (and we all know how stress affects our RSD). I am by no means an expert on any of these things...just relating my experience and my thoughts on why I went the way I did regarding root canals and dental work.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote