View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 03:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default i recognize these symptoms

Hi all of you!

I just can not help but writing this when I hear your stories and symptoms. I understand that you have been wondering a lot about these symptoms and I don't want to sound like I am a smartass, but when I read all your posts it sounds to me that you do, besides from your PCS, also suffer from a condition called Intracranial hypotension.

Around our brains we have a fluid called cerebrospinal fluid that works like a cushion for our brains. Sometimes if a person hurts his neck, back or cranium he/she can get a tear in the dura (sack) that contains this cerebrospinal fluid and it can start to leak. This will cause less volume of fluid around his/her brain and lower than normal pressure inside the cranium. This in turn will make the brain more sensitive to vibrations or impacts.

You can check if you are suffering from intracranial hypotension by holding your breath and increase your abdominal pressure (this increases your intracranial pressure momentarily), while you drive over a bump. If this maneuver helps you take the bump, then you know that you are suffering from too low intracranial pressure.

You typically diagnose this with a MRI with contrast of your skull.
It is treatable, but it will typically not go away without treatment.

I just wanted to point this out to you so that you can get the correct treatment. Since you have suffered concussions it is not so unlikely that you also injured your cranium, neck or back at the same time.

Once again, I don't want to step on anybody's toes here. I just had to write this because I recognize your symptoms.

Best wishes to all of you!

P.S If you feel a metallic taste in your mouth the leak is located in your cranium. D.S
Ball123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote