View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 06:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink New to this Chat

Hi there

I have TBI from an accident in January this year. I had a horse riding fall and was a professional horse instructor in South Africa. I was apparently in a coma for four days, but I can't remember any of my time in hospital though I was apparently trying to speak to everyone and getting out of the wrist ties I had been put in cos I wanted to go somewhere. I was temporarily paralyzed on my right side and I had a right fracture on my right orbit and C7.

Because of limited funds I was discharged from hospital after 3 weeks. I have an odd memory after that, but it was only just under 2 months that I started being conscious of what was going on and that I had a brain injury. My first thought was that I wanted to commit suicide. Because of the damage to my frontal lobe I believe this was quite normal. I got taken to the doctor for anti depressants and started on them straight away. I must say I then felt extremely nauseous for 3 weeks. I was fortunate enough to have got some feeling back to my right and was able an hobble around. The lady at physio rehab helped a lot and managed to get me walking better and also moving my right arm and hand. I haven't been for any rehab since May.

To cut a long story short, I am now living in the UK with my sister and manage to walk the dog for two and a half kilometers. My sight is not the best and I have got some glasses for long sight as well as some for close work. I have double vision when I try and move my eyes without my head and get quite dizzy when I move my head fast. I seem to have balance issues when moving in small places.

I am starting at Headway on Thursday and hope to get some proper rehab work done on me. I am lucky, as I know I could have been worse, but I am used to injuries that are six weeks recovery time.

Would love to chat to anyone who has a TBI.

Debbie
Nutkin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote