View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you Bryanna! Of course it's not what I wanted to hear and I'm really ****** off at the dentist from February who could have maybe helped me catch it sooner.

I've been looking for an "oral" surgeon the past few days and I have found most dentists advertise on their websites that they do oral surgeries. What is the distinction for someone who has been extensively trained or who has a degree in oral surgery? Is it an MD in addition to DDS?

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Sltruck,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some help here.

Before I even read your post I looked at your xrays and your dental problem is very clear. Thanks for posting them.

I do not want to alarm you but you have a severe infection in your jaw bone which include teeth #30, 31, and 32. These teeth and the bone are very sick. Re treating the molars and root canaling the wisdom tooth will not cure this infection because there is no way to remove all of the infected nerve tissue from these teeth. You would be throwing your money away to treat these teeth because it is inevitable that they will need to be removed. The only way to cure this infection is to have all 3 of those teeth removed and the sooner the better.

I will re-post your questions and reply in bold type.

1. The antibiotic is working great. Is there any chance I can leave things alone? Could the antibiotic totally kill the inflection?

THE ANTIBIOTIC IS ONLY SUBSIDING THE SYMPTOMS TEMPORARILY. YOU HAVE SEVERE INFECTION DEEP IN YOUR JAW BONE AND THESE TEETH ARE VERY SICK. IF YOU KEEP THESE TEETH, YOU WILL BECOME PHYSICALLY SICK.

2. Should get an opinion from oral surgeon about extracting all three teeth?

YOU SHOULD ""ONLY"" SEE AN ORAL SURGEON ABOUT THE REMOVAL OF THESE TEETH. DO NOT LET A GENERAL DENTIST REMOVE THEM AS THEY ARE NOT TRAINED TO DEAL WITH THIS TYPE OF INFECTION.

3. Why didn't the first dentist six months ago or the dentist last week notice the infections under the other teeth?

I HAVE NO IDEA! THE INFECTION IS BLATANTLY OBVIOUS.

4. How can I be sure all the infection is removed if I get all 3 teeth extracted?

UNFORTUNATELY YOU CAN'T BE. THE SEVERITY OF THIS INFECTION INDICATES THAT IT HAS BEEN BREWING FOR A VERY LONG TIME. IN AN ATTEMPT TO REMOVE IT ALL , IT WILL REQUIRE SOME ADDITIONAL SURGICAL INTERVENTION AT THE TIME OF THE EXTRACTIONS. IT IS IMPERATIVE TO GO TO AN ORAL SURGEON WHO IS VERY EXPERIENCED AND NOT SOMEONE AT A CLINIC OR A DENTAL SCHOOL. YOU SHOULD ALSO DISCUSS HAVING SOME IV SEDATION FOR THIS SURGERY AS IT CAN BE A BIT LENGTHY.

5. I don't have insurance and I'm estimating $10k+ in work to be done with implants, etc. I'm thinking about going to a referred dentist in Mexico because the costs is at least 50% less. Is that a really bad idea?

YOU MAY NOT BE A CANDIDATE FOR DENTAL IMPLANTS IN THAT AREA OF YOUR MOUTH DUE TO THE DEPTH OF THE INFECTION. IT WOULD NOT BE WISE TO HAVE THIS SURGERY DONE BY A DENTIST BASED ON HIS CHEAP FEES. IF THIS SURGERY IS MESSED UP OR THE INFECTION IS NOT ERADICATED FROM THE BONE, YOU COULD END UP WITH OSTEOMYELITIS WHICH IS A SEVERE BONE INFECTION THAT IS NOT ALWAYS CURABLE.

I do not want to alarm you.... but this is quite severe and needs to be dealt with very soon. Ideally while you are on the antibiotic.

Please let us know how you're doing.....

Bryanna
Sltruck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote