Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default Benadryl reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Benadryl has anticholinergic properties...so yes, it would be problematic for MGers. It is also a problem for men with prostate issues, for the same reason.

All of the first generation antihistamines are included because they have these anticholinergic actions too.

Second generation ones like Claritin and Allegra may be better, but I'll leave that to Annie who is planning a long list of drugs to avoid. The second generation ones are less effective as antihistamines also, and do not have drowsiness side effects (Claritin and Allegra).

Zyrtec is related to Atarax and therefore problematic as well, but less so.

I am not sure about Naproxyn (Aleve). Someone with allergies to NSAIDs may have swallowing problems if allergic to it.
There is a dry mouth reported side effect but it is less than 1%... and most drugs that cause dry mouth are not used in MGers, either.

I am sure others will be along with answers for you, that are more definitive.
I had a reaction to Benadryl which included sudden, severe weakness. My face was nearly paralyzed, unable to swallow or cough and could barely breathe for almost 4 hours. My oxygen saturation stayed around 90 - 92 but the ICU was ready to put me on a ventilator. Benadryl (25 mg) and Solumedrol (25 mg) were given to me before an IVIg treatment. The nurses and doctor were baffled by my reaction and thought I was possibly having a cholinergic crisis due to Solumedrol combined with my Mestinon. Thank goodness they didn't give me Atropine (another antimuscarinic /anticholinergic) which is normally used to counteract a cholinergic crisis!

I have had Solumedrol quite a few times before, at even higher doses, with no problems (except insomnia). I found out later through my own research that Benadryl is a potent anticholinergic! I'm very surprised it isn't on the MGFA drug list. I think Benadryl is the type of anticholinergic which inhibits production of acetylcholine (ACh) - which could certainly affect myasthenics! I'm surprised Benadryl doesn't affect everyone with MG.

It would be very helpful if there was a searchable drug list in an app or something that could quickly describe what ingredients drugs contain that could endanger us. My nurse wasn't aware that Benadryl is an anticholinergic and that anticholinergics could affect myasthenics.

Your post in this forum is the only result my Google search showed which pointed out that Benadryl may be problematic for myasthenics. I read below your post that someone is preparing a more comprehensive drug list. Is the list available yet?
McBph is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote