Thread: L4-5 15*9mm
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 01:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBros556 View Post
Is a microdiscectomy and discectomy the same thing? My injury happened July 29th, 2013. Its already been to months. My pain management dr. believes surgery is my best option. I'm scheduled to see a top orthopedic surgeon at midwest orthopedic at Rush. I live in Chicago. Do you think I might already have scar tissue after 2 months?? I have to say over the past few days the pain has gotten better, but the numb raw burning feeling in my shin is still there. That pain comes and goes. Its not constant all day. I guess I'm just confused and angry at myself because i easily could have avoided this injury. Oh well, it could be worse, I guess????
Pain may wax and wane...your functioning (weakness and neurological issues) is more important in determining whether surgical intervention makes sense. Microdiscectomy is a type of discectomy. Better to see either a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon who is spine-fellowship trained. There are arguments whether to go ortho or neuro but I think the bigger argument has to do with whether they have fellowship training in spine or not. Each case is unique but generally for many cases that are going to surgery, they should probably go no later than 1 to 3 months post-injury. That is not to say if you wait longer that you won't get a good outcome, rather the chances of a good outcome diminish as time rolls along. Obviously severe cases need to go immediately but for the average case with some to no neurological impairment, you have time to try conservative approaches. Severe and progressively worsening cases need more emergent attention.
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote