View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 04:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks Renee I know that piece well, and there is much truth in it. BUT I must be honest here and say that I do not have a faith, and that some of the ideas in that prayer upset me - I do believe, but in humanity and our ability both to support and love others without the doctrines of different faiths, and to do right by each other and the planet we all depend upon.

I don't say this to upset or offend anyone here who offers their help and advice freely, or to say that I am right and those who believe are wrong. If my lack of faith upsets anyone reading this, then please don't read further. I am just trying to explain my alternative view because I find it uncomfortable when religion is brought into any suffering. I explain myself because I have found that if I mention my lack of belief without some context, some who have a strong faith can misunderstand and the resulting discussion can get nasty. I would hate that to happen here, in a place where there is so much support. It is sad but true.

I was brought up to believe within a Catholic school, I love the beautiful and amazing buildings that were erected both to celebrate religion and to shout the power of the Church, the incredible music created by man to honour it. I feel the power in these buildings, the hundreds of years of deep emotions felt within their walls. But deep within me, I am happier without a faith. Everything makes a lot more sense, and the world seems a kinder place, humanity as a whole representing the good and the bad that is in each of us to one extent or another.

When I believed as a child and young woman, I often asked how various things could happen in a world with a loving God, not to mention the many injustices and crimes that came to light within (and protected by) the Church itself. The many many wars over faith, over whose God was best, saddened and sickened me. I no longer have to ask that unanswerable question, and things are so much clearer.

I say these things not to upset anyone, but just to present my alternative view. I find my strength do deal with life from within myself, and I believe that we all do. I find the idea of pain, illness and loss as some kind of decision by a deity to be quite disturbing, and the idea that we should accept and embrace it as such quite upsetting. I have been told occasionally by well meaning people that we are given only hardships that we can deal with, that he will give me the strength I need if I believe. Ahhhh....I have to stop here!

I think we are amazing, every single one of us. We deal as best we can with some of the terrible, cruel and random things that can happen in life, and we support each other from a common goodness and love of each other that has no other need for explanation than our own kindness and wish to help. And for me, that is the most powerful force for good in existence, and all the more incredible for it.

Thank you for listening, and I hope nobody who has read this thinks less of me for not having a faith.

Bram.

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
RSD ME (09-26-2013)