View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 09:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Vitamin D

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew41 View Post
I never get the flu shot even though they want me to each year, I take 6000IU of liquid vitamin D daily and have not had the flu for the past 4 years, MY sons take 2000IU daily and also have not had any issues, plus vitamin D (3) had a lot of health benefits. think of this simple senario in the summer when we are out in the sun ( our bodies make 10,000IU of vitamin d3 in about 30 minutes) we do not get the flu..
a soon as it gets cold and we spend more time indoors ?? and we get less sun??
You got it flu..
do a little research on google about vitamin d3 and the flu and the benefits of it.. it is not marketed as they can not make any $$$ on a vitamin..

Hi thanks, Dave.

Indeed, I do have diagnosed low vitamin D level. Dx'd by endo who has me taking 1,000 IU of D3 daily. WOW perhaps I should increase the dosage. Lowest level was 7 - latest test was 10.

He first gave me (RX) large dose - I believe it was 50,000 IU BIG pill. Which was very difficult to swallow AND made me very VERY ill. Hence, plan B is taking smaller dosage every day. (Smaller pill also).

Even though I live in sunny So California. Can't take the heat generated by the rays. Also, have been "inside" much more than "outside" - due to MG.

Endo says common with people with autoimmune illnesses to have D3 deficiency.

My neuro didn't say much when I told him endo had placed me on D3 - it almost seemed that he was a little skeptical about my need for the D3. However, my endo is highly respected doc here in So CA - and they are colleagues at large highly rated hospital. And endo has a couple of other patients with MG - one is wife of a local doctor. I trust endo very much and will ask endo if I can/should increase dosage at next appointment.

Verdict is now out about whether this flu shot which seems to have triggered MG exacerbation is going to be effective for me this flu season (first case of flu has just been reported in nearby city).

mrsD:
I did get the manufacturer (Merck) and lot number - just in case. Thanks for the insight on the flu shot......

Dave is your liquid vitamin D - D3?? Do you mind mentioning manufacturer?

Thanks again for your reply.

In the mean time, I am feeling not so sunny in sunny California.

Thankful for pillows and laptop, which allow me to get online.

Oh.....and I need to thank my cat for her healing purrrrrrssssssss.
I do believe that even felines know when their "people" - are not feeling well.

(I used to always have a dog or two in household).
SoftTalker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote