View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 12:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4 View Post
I am curious--if anyone reading this has had surgery for Chiari I would like to hear how you've done. It would be interesting seeing some response on this because there is so little information available! Good or bad, please share your story!
Hi!
I just had this surgery September20,2013. The first night was impossible. I was in a lot of pain and nautious! I was released the next day after my surgeon came in and saw me. He said that I really needed this surgery. I have suffered for over 20 years with migraines and temporary paralysis. I couldn't hold a job for very long because the management and coworkers never understood. This year has been full of health issues starting with a heart attack but any way... I wasn't nervous or scared about the surgery. I actually was cracking jokes up until I was put under. The surgeon also advised me the incision was a lot bigger than he expected. He also told me my recovery will take longer than expected as well! I'm on day 6 and I'm pretty much confined to the couch. My symptoms are as follow; I can't sit,stand,read and watch tv for long periods of times because I become dizzy. I'm nautious 24/7 even with medication, I feel exhausted,sometimes I can't get comfortable,my hearing has become muffled,I can't feel the tip of my tongue,when I stand up on my left side of my scalp I feel like there are bugs crawling under my skin, I can't move my head from side to side or up and down,and last thing I can't hold the phone up to either ear because it hurts and echoes. I am waiting for the surgeon to call me back to see if all of these symptoms are normal. Back track here a little bit the reason why I wasn't nervous about the surgery is because my neurosurgeon is the best on the west coast and my doctor who found this malformation and pineal cysts two years ago already prepared me about the surgery. well that's my story so far about my surgery! I don't know if it helps or not but just like everybody has said that each person is different... Lol now I can add cow (which is what replaced the part of my skull the dr removed) to my genealogy!! Kay
Kaybarrows73 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote