View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi dmplaura,

Thanks for sharing that great information with us! So glad you have found at least a few triggers to the canker sores! Hope the eliminations continue to be successful for you!!

What toothpaste are using now?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplaura View Post
I've suffered canker sores since I was very young. When I got into University later on in life, I discovered that it was citrus (namely oranges) that was the culprit. Why? This poor starving University student couldn't afford to buy fresh fruit lol. So that was one mystery solved, and I thought I had them figured out.

Then I quit smoking 5+ years ago, and the cankers returned! Why though? It took me quite some time to figure it out, but I finally decided to quit my newly acquired habit - chewing sugar free gum.

I went from having cankers that were so large they left scars in my mouth, and lasted for weeks. I even went so far as seeing a Rheumy as my GP and I thought there was the possibility of Behçet's Syndrome (Disease) (I also had Erythema Nodosum, which can present with severe ulcers in the mouth, other areas of the body, in those with Behçet's).

So I've been off the gum for well over a month now, and when I do get a canker sore, it's a tiny pin point one that is gone in a day! So glad to have finally found a major trigger and eliminated it.

I also stopped using toothpaste with SLS as an ingredient, as I've heard this can also trigger mouth issues.

Hope this info can help another who may be suffering from cankers. Horrible things. Stay well everyone.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote