View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 10:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question venipuncture, hematoma, and radial nerve injury

7 months ago, I had a problematic venipuncture on my right arm, which resulted in a hematoma. I didn't feel any serious pain when the needle was inserted. I then developed these symptoms:
- pain whenever I bent my right arm backwards
- pain whenever I pulled down my right arm.
- occasionally the right thumb, index and middle fingers went numb in the morning and when I drove.

Doctors told me that one of my nerve was injured, and it would take months for it to heal. Fortunately, this pain didn't really bother my daily living that much.

5 months later, my symptoms didn't improve nor deteriorate. But I had new interest with folk dancing. There were some arm pulling movements, which resulted in a lot of pain. I had to give it up after 4 dances because of the pain. I also realize now my symptoms had become worse. These are my new symptoms:

- pain and weakness when open heavy doors
- pain when extending the right elbow.
- pain raising up the right arm
- When sleep on the right side at a particular angle, pain at a specific spot on the right shoulder.
- Some mornings, the right hand is stiff.

Upon my research on the internet, I learn that hematoma itself can cause nerve injury. It also seems that my pain and numbness are all related to redial nerve injury.

What I don't understand is the lack of healing and the easy deterioration. Is it typical for a nerve injury? Is it possible that I have other conditions that cause the lack of healing and easy injury of the nerve? Also, is the stiffness of the right hand in the morning a symptom of radial nerve injury? Also, what can I do to speed up the healing?

Thank you all for reading and responding.
BostonFern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote