Thread: Right Decision?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi carmellaann,

Okay well you know best. Trust your instincts and your own judgement.

I think a night guard may be very helpful for you. Yes, I would give that a try and yes that cost is within the usual cost for one.

Regarding the correlation between mercury dental fillings and arthritis.... I think there are more arguments for that correlation than against it.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmellaann View Post
You know, my old dentist would do just that--the first time, I went for about a week after he opened the deep cavity, cleaned out, and refilled. He even filled and closed with the cerac stuff...one week. That lead to my first ever root canal. The second time, it lasted about two years and resulted in an abscess with fistula, agonizing pain and extraction. My new dentist did not even offer to do this. He just offered a temp crown. Honestly, I have been through so much with dental pain from abscess...had he offered it, I would have probably just turned it down. The fillings are wide and deep...just awful. I would be afraid of bothering the nerve even more...and then having to live through a week of let's see if it calms down and then triggering facial nerve pain...gah. I guess I answered my own question(s). Thank you for the suggestion, though. I think I am beyond trying to save teeth that are beyond saving by buying a year or two. I'm 51 years old...never thought in a million years I would be staring down partials and dentures--but here I am.

I was thinking...just two years after my braces were off and that summer my general dentist filled ten deep and wide cavities with metal fillings--when I turned 19 was the onset of my Rheumatoid Arthritis. I do have a genetic predisposition--my dad had what they called polyarthritis back in the day...but I can't help but wonder if the metal fillings and all the mercury may have been a trigger. I know some schools of thought would say yes to that.

As an aside, my doc wants to make me a night guard to maybe stave off worsening off the crazing and cracks. They are quoting a price of $510. He says he thinks this might buy me 5 years before partials. I do grind at night all the most of the teeth I used to grind are gone now. He said this would protect me from grinding on what is left...thoughts? I have no idea the price of these things. I would spend the money to protect what I have left if that's what a custom night guard costs.

Thank you for your considered opinion on tooth 15. It goes on Oct. 8. I am praying it is as easy and pretty much pain free as my last two extractions!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote