View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 10:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default amitriptyline

[QUOTE=Dr. Smith;1013403]Hi Eva,

Nortriptyline is of the older tricyclic class of antidepressants. They are often prescribed in light doses (like yours) for chronic & neuropathic pain, particularly at bedtime to help patients sleep the night through.

I'm taking amitriptyline 10 mg. myself for just that purpose, and it works quite well as long as I go to bed within a few minutes after taking it. If I wait more than about an hour, it sometimes doesn't/will not work for me. It's worked for me from day 1, so if it doesn't help you any within the next week or so, I'd call your doctor & let him/her know. S/he may try switching you to another or upping the dose.

Hoping it helps you,

Doc

Hi Doc

Glad to hear your having some luck with amitriptyline. I'm taking amitriptyline too for small fiber neuropathic pain. I started 2 mos ago taking only
5 mgs. I split a 10 in half so I could get used to any side effects. (Im very sensitive to all medications ). I just started taking 10 mgs. 3 nights ago. So far it doesn't make me drowsy right away like you, but it does help me to sleep a little better. I usually take it a couple of hours before I go to sleep.
Are you taking it for pain or to sleep? You said 10 mgs. works quite well for you, was wondern how you meant that. Would be glad to know if only 10 mgs. is helping you. Do you take anything else with it for your pain? I also take 300 mgs. lyrica, which is not working so well. So the med starting working for you right away. I will give mine a couple of weeks, I hope I do as well as you have. Thanks
PS I just wanted to add that my neurologist gave me a script for Nortriptyline also, he said to try if the Amitrip dosent help..when are your thoughts?

Marie
Marie33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (10-03-2013)