View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
So here is my question ...

Having recognized that depression is present in my life, I would like to experment with a different anti-depressant that does NOT have sexual side effects. This anti-depressant does NOT need to treat pain; rather, just depression itself, as my pain issues are coming under control as I treat the Lyme.

What anti-depressants are available in 2013 that are regarded as relatively safe, mild and managable, do not have sexual side-effects, and might fit the bill of a 54-year old guy who only needs them for relatively mild depression?
"Relatively safe"?

Years ago—in a "depression" phase of chronic pain—I went through a similar search. I tried (I think) a dozen or so antidepressants suggested by my PCP, beginning with tricyclics and progressing from there—and never did find one that fit the bill. Eventually, I must have slud back into an "anger" phase (is there a "disgusted" phase? ) because I finally gave up and dealt with depression in other ways.

We're near the same age. Can I assume (from the way you write) that you've already dealt with dietary and vitamin/supplement causes/contributors? Hormone imbalances, especially at our age, can also factor in—thyroid, Low-T, & adrenal hormones. Hormone treatment of depression

Just some suggestions. If I'd known then what I know now, I think I'd try this route before resorting to BigPharma. YMMV.

ADDENDUM: A while back, I started taking low (10 mg) dose amitriptyline (Elavil) —a tricyclic antidepressant—as needed at bedtime to help me sleep with various chronic pain issues. I tolerate it very well—no side effects whatsoever (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean? ) About a month or so into it, DW said she noticed an improvement in my demeanor/personality (i.e. less depressed). She insists it's the antidepressant effect of the amitriptyline; I think it's just that I'm getting better/more sleep and less grumpy. Anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 09-30-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Addendum
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
echoes long ago (09-30-2013), Marie33 (10-01-2013)