Thread: What helps you?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 09:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookester View Post
Oh Bram.. you made my day!! I just signed up to start Piano lessons next week, I am so excited! I decided learning to play the piano would be a great way to distract myself

Have you played since you were a youngster?

And the Cello.. wow!
Lol zook, I am so pleased you are going to start learning the piano! That's an amazing choice to make - you won't regret it

I've played since I was young, but without any lessons or training so I've not reached any cosmic level. It's my bolthole, my sanctuary, and my saving on many occasions. Music really can soothe your soul. And if you are making it, no matter what the level, it is always powerful and magical.

Initially the exercises will probably seem a little repetitive if you haven't played before, but try to see them as a kind of physio for your pain - I still do scales and arpeggios as finger/hand exercises, and that repetition allows you to lose yourself in them. I find that brilliant pain relief.

Let me know how you get on with your first lesson - it'll be great to hear your reaction to it! I hope you fall in love and lose your heart a little to it...

Do you have your own piano? If not, try to get one ASAP - you can get a second-hand (pre-loved ) one for the cost of transporting the thing. A real wooden piano is an incredible friend to have...

Interestingly, I am about to have my first ever formal cello lesson next weekend! I've had my cello (Edward ) for years, but only got back into playing him again this year, and I want to have a grade certificate in case my left arm continues its involvement in the CRPS dance....

New things are always good I think. They involve your brain and emotions so much that it pushes your pain away just a bit. Sounds like a deal to me

Good luck,

Bram.

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
RSD ME (09-30-2013)