View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 10:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebrumIniuriam View Post
Has anyone experienced long term reoccurence of short term memory loss after mild traumatic head injury? I wasnt in a major car accident or had my head hit by a semi, but I did hit it hard enough to be knocked unconscious for a short period of time.
I wasn't hit by a semi either... it was a train...

Memory loss is very common with TBIs. It probably seems like a long time ago, but as TBIs go two months is relatively recent. You didn't mention if you are seeing therapists for your memory deficits, but consider a referral for speech and/or occupational therapy. Side note, speech pathologists work on problem unrelated to speech. Mine was very effective in giving me exercises and problems to work out that made for big improvements in my memory deficits. That said it was about five months before a neuropsychological assessment indicated a return to normal cognitive function.

The getting lost while driving suggests deficits in visuospatial functions. I also had this issue, which greatly improved with occupational therapies along with rest.

I relate to the frustration of not being able to pursue all your prior activities but brain injuries take time to heal. The headaches and passing out in the car after the workout suggest you may be pushing yourself too fast too soon. Here again, a good therapist can provide advice on returning to physical activity.

Hang in there. I couldn't drive for five months, and it was six months after my injury before I was able to return to work full time. Your injury was relatively recent and significant improvement is the most likely outcome, but it will take time.

Best to you on this recovery journey.

What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote