View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 07:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It’s taken me a long time to post again on this thread, because it is a very controversial topic, as well as a very emotional and painful topic for me, so I needed to have some time and space to think how best to respond. Then we went through a death in the family, and I had to travel across the country to deal with that. Then my daughter came out of remission, and we had to go through two cycles of Calmare treatments to get her back into remission (the first one was with a provider a lot closer to home, but they didn’t have the experience, and it wasn’t working well, so we went back to the other provider and it worked great and she’s back in remission).

The thread starter asked for "this is what it's like" or "here's what to expect" personal experience stories, so I’ll share some more details now. As far as personal experience, my daughter and I have personal experience with both a TENS machine and the Calmare machine. We've both had many, many treatments with a TENS machine because of surgeries and RSD, but we just didn't know that was its name until a month or so ago when I finally realized that the electrical thingy that they were hooking us up to at PT was a TENS machine (and my PT confirmed this).

So here is one big difference that I, as a patient, saw between the two : they are hooked up VERY differently. TENS machine pads go right on the sore area or close around it, but Calmare pads are just the opposite - they do NOT go on the worst area at all - in fact, they specifically stay away from it. Half of the pads go around it, and the other half go on the spine. So when my daughter was treated with a TENS machine at PT, the pads all went on her foot, close to the sorest areas. However, when she was treated with the Calmare machine, half of the pads circled around the original injury site area but stayed away from it, and the other half went on her spine. We never had that setup with a TENS machine, in all of our many treatments with it. Also, the feeling that we get is very different.

As far as some helpful facts to add to the collection : the Calmare machine has its own separate, unique U.S. patent - number 8,380,317 - which was granted on February 19, 2013. Here is the link to the U.S. patent office showing the Calmare patent: here. The criteria for getting a U.S. patent is that it has to be something that is “NEW and useful” (link - here). IOW, the Calmare machine, although in the general category of TENS (and there are a lot of TENS machines out there!) has something that is so new and different that it has received its own unique patent. I think that says a lot about how different it is from a regular TENS machine.

Also, highly prestigious medical institutions like the Mayo Clinic and the National Cancer Institute clearly think it's different than a regular TENS machine, because they are conducting official government tests with it. If you go to http://clinicaltrials.gov, an official U.S. government website, and search for "Scrambler", you can check out these studies. I just don't see why they would do this with something that is only another TENS machine.

Anyway, I hope the facts and experiences that people are sharing will help members to know a little more about this treatment.
SloRian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brambledog (10-01-2013), Koala77 (09-13-2014), Lottie (12-31-2013), mama mac (08-20-2015)