Thread: What helps you?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

LOL - "iHugs" I call them "virtual hugs" on another board, but I think I like iHugs better

I pretty much agree with everything here - music, family, animals, tv, and lidoderm patches when I get really focused pain in a small area. I guess, as I think about it, I would summarize it as "love and beauty" things...

Here's something that I don't think I saw yet - flowers. Since I moved from California to Arizona (a place I've always hated, unfortunately, but it couldn't be helped), I've discovered that I need flowers. They just comfort me with their beauty. Also, an ocean "sleep sound" is really helpful to me at night. And it can't be just ANY ocean sound - I looked and looked for the right one - it had to not have too much of a change in volume, or it would jerk me awake just when I was nodding off with a WHOOSH of the waves coming in. I like the "Naturespace" app, and the "Cumulous Aquae" ocean sound - ONLY that one. The other ocean sounds are just too disruptive. It gently rocks me to sleep, and when I can't sleep, it still soothes me and reminds me of the home I love.

I miss my dog SO much We had such a wonderful dog - a big, lovely mutt we picked up wandering around the streets and had for 14 years. He passed away just a few months ago ... we decided it was time for him to be out of his pain, and took him to the vet's, and I laid down on the floor with him and cuddled with him as I had so often on my bad pain days, and he passed away in my arms, next to my heart. My husband is more concerned about not looking weird and didn't want me to lay down on the floor at the vet's, but I didn't care - I wanted his last memories to be comfortable and loving, so I did it. God, I miss him so much ... dogs are so special.

Music is also very important to me. I play the harp, when I can. It's really a lovely instrument; I love how you embrace it and hold it next to your heart as you play and feel the music in your body.

A good movie or tv show is a wonderful distraction, as are books late at night when I can't sleep. And family is such a blessing, although since we moved here, we're having so many family issues, sadly. The kids and I get along great, but we moved very close to a lot of my husband's family, and unfortunately ... well, it's usually not so good to move really close to either family, and it's really hurt our family I just found a good counselor, though, and started seeing her last week. My daughter wants to see her, too, so we'll start her up this week.

Anyway, good thread! and interesting that we have similar things that help.
SloRian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
RSD ME (10-03-2013), zookester (09-30-2013)