View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 03:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post

ADDENDUM: A while back, I started taking low (10 mg) dose amitriptyline (Elavil) —a tricyclic antidepressant—as needed at bedtime to help me sleep with various chronic pain issues. I tolerate it very well—no side effects whatsoever (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean? ) About a month or so into it, DW said she noticed an improvement in my demeanor/personality (i.e. less depressed). She insists it's the antidepressant effect of the amitriptyline; I think it's just that I'm getting better/more sleep and less grumpy. Anyone's guess is as good as mine.
Interesting. Both my GP and neuro are still "fans" of amitriptyline. It's and oldie, and has been well studied. As an anti-depressant, it is just as effective as the newer medication, but apparently it's less used now because it's hard to treat (deliberate) overdoses.

I did try it for the pain and built up from 10mg to 50mg over a period of five weeks (as prescribed). I do not recall any side effects, but it also didn't help the PN (which was the reason I took it) so I went back down to 0 in 5 weeks, again with no ill effects.

I must say I'm a very good sleeper (for which I am very thankful, it's a life saver), but I can immediately see why sleeping better could make you feel less "grumpy".

As for Lyme, it shows again that medicine can have a strong regional component. For me, it was the absolute first thing they tested (both ELISA and WB), as Lyme is very common where I live; however, move 50km to any direction, and they probably wouldn't even think about Lyme.

Both tests were negative, and as I had come clean about my alcohol abuse, they didn't look any further (and they were probably right. )
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote