View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 03:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Stephan,

Thank you for the kind words! Glad to hear that you are being your own adovcate!!!

I agree with the oral surgeon who told you that implants would not be a wise option due to the bone loss. The upper front area of the mouth has a thin cartilage of bone and any injury or chronic infection in that area will cause severe bone deterioration. The surgery to build bone in this area is extensive and the outcome is very unpredictable.

The first thing to do would be to have a temporary removable partial denture made to replace the missing teeth during the healing phase of the removal of those 2 teeth. Then have the teeth removed and the dentist would insert the partial at that time. You would wear this for several weeks to months as the site healed. You would remove it to clean it and before you went to sleep at night.

It is imperative to have the adjacent teeth clinically evaluated to be sure they are healthy as chronic infection in the jaw bone spreads fairly easily and you do not want to use unhealthy teeth as anchor teeth on this bridge.

You are going to end up with bone loss in those areas irrelevant of what you put in there because of the long term problem. The bridge may have to span from canine to canine. So it is imperative for the oral surgeon to make sure that the teeth and the jaw bone is healthy from the canine to the canine.

Bryanna

Bryanna,

Thanks for your advice. Now I feel confident that I'm making the right decision in going for the bridge. From the x-rays, the Oral Surgeon said the canine teeth were healthy enough to support the bridge.

My next question is would you suggest a bit of sedation with the extractions and cleaning of the infection/necrotic tissue? I feel much calmer about the procedure now that I've found a competent Oral Surgeon and understand the process, but I'm still a bit worried about discomfort and the length of time for the procedure. As well, all done in a country I'm still adjusting to!

Once again, thanks for all the advice and truth. I've learned a lot from you.

Stephan
stephanvd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote