View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Ashley,

Thank you for the kind words! I am extremely holistic, alternative minded with most every aspect of my health. It is refreshing to hear that someone so young embraces their health in such a positive and healthful manner!!

It's good that she did understand your concerns and hopefully she did debride the socket as she told you.

The signs for post op infections are similar to other infections... you can have one or more of them. The onset of swelling after the 3rd day... elevated temp... increased pain or tenderness.... sudden bleeding or oozing from the socket. The signs of a cavitation can be similar to those above or it can be a chronic aching in the jaw.... on off fevers.... lethargy.... etc. Cavitations generally don't show up until later on after the site has healed closed.

Cavitations can often be picked up on an xray by someone who knows what they are looking for. I know that sounds hokey but in 35 yrs of dentistry, I only know a handful of dentists who can recognize the onset of a cavitation in the jaw bone. Unless it is blatantly obvious and the patient is in dire pain they don't even look for a cavitation.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley13 View Post
Bryanna, thank you so much for your reply. I joined this site because of your advice - it's hard to find a more naturally minded or holistic dentist or dental assistant that will talk to you. Your advice is truly valuable.

Ok she called me back and said I didn't have periodontal disease. LOL Bad communication between the her and the receptionist Anyways I did ask her about the removal of the periodontal ligament and 1mm of tissue that needed to be scraped and she said she actually did all of that. I made myself pretty clear that I didn't want to leave any infection behind during our talk and because I am so skeptical all I can do is hope my concerns were taken seriously. She is a good/trustworthy general dentist and I trust her, I know it doesn't seem like it but I do. It's just hard for me to trust her completely when she recommends procedures (like RCT) that I've found seriously harmful through my own personal research. I'm like this with almost every allopathic/mainstream doctor. I know that I am my own advocate and I try and research every single thing that pertains to my health and the health of my immediate family.

I guess my only option is to take the wait and see approach. I have bad anxiety when it comes to my health (and I'm still in my 20's) so hopefully I can calm down and just wait. I've read that most cavitations can't be seen on a typical x-ray... is this true? Is there anything in particular I would have to be looking for in case this socket doesn't heal properly?

Thank you so very much for your time!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote