View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Parminides,

I gathered that you had untreated periodontal disease. The problem lies in the bacteria that causes this disease. It is highly infectious and aggressive. It is rarely, if ever just contained to one area of the mouth.

You wrote:
<<I do have periodontal disease. I have avoided seeking treatment because if what's leaking out of the side of the extraction site is some antibiotic-resistant infection, I don't want to introduce it into all those deep cracks. That may not be a valid reason, but that's why I've put off treating the periodontal disease. I want to take care of this leaky jaw problem first.>>

My answer: The ongoing problem that you have with that particular area is not going to heal due to the overall bacteria in your mouth from the perio disease. That is why I suggested that you look into the LANAP laser therapy as it can beneficial with not just that area but your entire mouth.

The root tip was probably near the surface because it had worked it's way up from where it originally was. That can happen... not all that unusual.

Before you have #8 removed... please seek a consultation from a periodontist who uses the LANAP laser. Have an overall examination and treatment plan. I have no doubt that #8 needs to be removed but your replacement options may be different than you assume. If you have other teeth in your maxillary arch that are very ill from periodontal disease, you may not want to hold onto them. So a removable partial denture could be made to replace those teeth as well as #8.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by parminides View Post
I'm surprised and concerned that you think it might be bone related. I thought that the bone filling back in would be the opposite of what an infection would do (eat away bone). What's wrong with that line of thinking?

I do have periodontal disease. I have avoided seeking treatment because if what's leaking out of the side of the extraction site is some antibiotic-resistant infection, I don't want to introduce it into all those deep cracks. That may not be a valid reason, but that's why I've put off treating the periodontal disease. I want to take care of this leaky jaw problem first.

I have seen one periodontist and some oral surgeons. The sad truth is that no one wants to inherit my jaw. I know it's a major breach of ethics to leave a root tip in a patient's jaw without telling him. I've never seen a single source that says it's acceptable to leave an infected root tip in a patient. Also, the root tip was near the surface (maybe because he tried to get it out?), another reason *never* to leave it in.

No one wants to take over that mess. The leakage is at such a low level that they don't see it. Nor is there a well-defined fistula (at least that they admit to seeing). So doctors and dentists generally just say that they don't see what I'm talking about.

This dentist last August was an exception, but I didn't tell him about the root tip! I told him about others doubting my symptoms. He said that he never doubts a patient when they say they're draining.

I'm not missing any other teeth in the maxillary arch. I know I could get a bridge, and maybe I will. But the idea of messing up two more teeth isn't very appealing to me. I know it would be a lot less trouble for me in the long run.

Only 7 more posts to go!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote