Thread: Medication
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 01:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSD RENEE View Post
I never used to take as many pills as I do now. I never liked them. But now I take a multitude of meds. My husband got me a pill tray that holds my weekly pills, so that I remember to take the right ones at the right times. My memory from the neurontin makes me very forgetful, so this tray is a lifesaver. And when I go out, I always make sure to take them with me. I hate having to depend on all these meds, but need them to help control the pain and anxiety. My dr told me that I'm NOT an addict because I'm taking all of these pills, because I'm taking them to help control my chronic pain and anxiety, NOT to get high.
It still stinks that I have to rely on all these meds to help me to barely get through each day, and the fear of ever having to increase them again scares me. I don't think my stomach can endure much more meds.
But right now I haven't had to increase for the last year, except for an additional 100 mg of neurontin each day.
I try to hide the pain and get dressed everyday, even though I don't go anywhere most of the time, and get really annoyed when people say that "I look okay".
Looks for rsd people don't mean anything. Looks don't show the constant pain we feel inside, and the looks that they see don't show the hidden bedsores, and other sores on my back, arms, legs, head, ears and mouth that never seem to want to heal. And looks don't show my swollen feet and hands and twisted wrist and fingers which I usually have covered with socks and gloves because they get so cold and red and sore from my rsd
So when people tell me I look fine, I get out my pill tray now and show them what it takes to "look fine". They usually quiet down after that. I'd show them my bedsores if I thought I wouldn't get in trouble for mooning them.
Anyway, I don't think taking meds is a weakness when it's needed for the constant pain we feel and next time someone says you look fine, maybe try pulling out your pill tray (and then maybe they will understand then just what it takes for you to look fine.) Hang in there Tessa and please don't be embarrassed about taking all those meds. You are not weak. You are taking them to survive a horrible and chronic disease. And though I know its hard, for I struggle with it too, try not to let what people say bother you. No one can ever understand what we're going through unless they are going through themselves, which causes them to say stupid and ignorant things like "you look fine". Anyway, I hope you feel better about this and yourself. You are a rsd survivor. And that in itself makes you strong.
PS- People who say "you look fine" also don't see the bone loss I've endured from rsd to my many broken and lost teeth and hip. Or the toll it takes on my immune system, by making me sick all the time and making other health problems I already have much worse
Sorry I'm going on about this, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people say "I look fine". I'll stop now and try to enjoy this beautiful fall day. (I hope you can all do the same.)
RSD ME is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote