View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 12:57 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I haven't had surgery, but I came across a folder of posts that I had printed out from the old forum. Here are some of the other suggestions that people made:

1. Request a copy of your surgery report.
2. Be sure your doctor provides you with a phone number at which you can reach someone from his office 24/7 in case you have a pain problem or something else you can’t resolve with the hospital staff.
3. Designate a friend or relative to ask questions or complain so that you don’t get a reputation for being a “problem patient.”
4. Shave your legs the night before surgery because you won't feel like doing it for a while.
5. If you will be using a pain pump(?) arrange for it to be programmed to deliver a baseline amount of pain medication while you are asleep and unable to press the button yourself.

More pillow suggestions:

1. Bring your own pillow if you're sensitive to pillows.
2. Bring a squishy, lightweight pillow to stuff in your armpit to relieve pressure near the incision site.

Helpful items: earplugs; Purell (or other alcohol-based hand sanitizer); Polartec or polyester throw blankets for cold drafty hospital rooms; books on tape; CD players with earphones; socks; slippers for walking in the hall; Chapstick; Hypnosis CDs for relaxation/pain control; your own pajamas or pajama bottoms; several changes of underwear; hair clips, hair ties (etc.); a mirror; a phone card and a list of phone numbers you might want to call since you won't be able to turn on your cell phone.
Stardust is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote