View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 01:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused

[QUOTE=mrsD;1019479]Also I'd like to add for Marie....

Improving magnesium status may improve your heart symptoms.

Magnesium opens blood vessels for better circulation.

The dosing for Elavil and nortriptyline is low and in low dose is less likely to cause a QT event. However, low magnesium is one trigger even for people who do not have long QT syndrome.

I would hope your doctor evaluates your electrocardiograms for this problem before giving Elavil or any other drug with long QT potential. (some SSRIs are problematic... like Celexa).

Here is a link to a recent article about antidepressants and QT risk:
[url]http://www.healio.com/cardiology/arrhythmia-disorders/news/print/cardiology-today/%7B53e7e7e4-f189-441f-a8d3-d904c67b7349%7D/certain-antidepressants-may-prolong-qt-interval[/url

Hi MrsD

Thank you for your response. I Take Doctors Best Chelated Mag 100mgs 1xday. I have been taking Mag for over 6 mos now. My lab result last month for Mag was 2.7. This came back as "High" on Quest lab report. The range is 1.5-2.5 mg. I am still taking it anyway, my Neurologist says he thinks its OK to keep taking it. Do you think I should switch to "Mag-Tab" like David suggested? Would that be better for me or do you think I should just stopping taking Mag because my Bloodwork is "normal"? Wouldnt my "Magnesium stauts" as you stated be considered good enough or should I continue as a maintenance?

I do have "microvascular angina" , im not usually symptomotic. Unless I really overdo the tread mill or get stressed Im Ok. I was cleared by my Cardiologist to take Elavil and Nortriptylline. He said my EKG(s) never showed a long QT and that it was unlikely this could happen to me. Do you think I could have a QT event anyway. How would I know if Im having "an event" while taking this Medication. Im still a little nervous about taking it. Im hoping If I take it in combo with Lyrica I will get some relief at this low dose (10mgs).
Why do Doctors give us medicine that could mess with our hearts anyway?

Thanks again for all your help.
Marie33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote