View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default My PStim Experience

Hi. New Here. My wife found this as did I when doing research before getting the PStim myself. I'll try my best to post after each treatment. Note that I just finished my first 4 days. Also note I'll post some scientific articles I found on the topic while researching at the bottom of this note.

Background - I was in a car accident ~4 years ago and now get upper back/neck pain and headaches that arise from the pain on my Occipital Ridge. The headaches were terrible, multiple injections and many months of PT didn't help. Regular Chinese Accupuncture didn't help. Medical Accupuncture did. However it's expensive and I need to go every two weeks. So I figured I'd try PStim (which is also expensive...so if anyone here can tell me how to get this covered by Insurance (Anthem) you would be my hero).

Note - I am not a doctor...

OK, so today is day 4. Results are certainly TBD. However I will note that I was able to do a good number of pushups the evening of day 2 and I just took a long run/walk with my dog and have had surprisingly low pain...something just a couple ibuprofen can help. We'll see how the rest of the night goes but it's a positive sign.

I will admit that the PStim was annoying. I had two electrodes on the inner part of the lobe and 1 on the outer. I feel like the one on the outer bothered me MUCH more than the one on the inner. I liken it to getting flicked in the ear by an annoying little brother. Getting the device put on was easily the more painful part but it was certainly tolerable. It was not quite like getting your ear pierced...but that's the closest thing I can think of to equate it to.

As far as "getting used to it". I kind of see where they are coming from. While I never got used to it and it did wake me up; the "flicking" (I'll call it) would go from very noticeable to hardly noticeable during the 3 hour "on" cycle. The first 3-5 minutes are the most noticeable...which yes means it woke me from sleep. But I went back to sleep VERY easily...which isn't like me. After the initial 5 minutes or so, I usually forgot it was even on.

Honestly, the most annoying thing about it was trying not to get my head wet while showering and having this thing on my head that made me look like a cyborg and therefore feel self-conscious. That being said, if that's the worst part and it makes a material impact on my pain, I'll take it all day every day. Again though, if you have tips for getting it covered by insurance, you would be my hero.

Research - I too had trouble finding stuff initially. Basically I finally started mining from citation after citation until I found actual scientific studies. Here's some links to what I found -

Note - I don't have a pubmed login for the detailed trial info so some of this is just abstracts. I also had to remove the **from the start to post the links.

drc3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote