View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Default Understood

A lifetime of conditioned responses & behavior patterns are tough to overcome/change.

Have you ever read Games People Play: The Psychology of Human Relationships by Eric Berne, M.D. ?

Quote:
In 1964 Berne published Games People Play which, despite having been written for professional therapists, became an enormous bestseller and made Berne famous. The book clearly presented everyday examples of the ways in which human beings are caught up in the games they play. Berne gave these games memorable titles such as "Now I've got you, you son of a [biatch]," "Wooden leg," "Yes, but...," and "Let's you and him fight."

In Berne's explanation of transactions as games, when the transaction is a zero-sum game, (i.e. one must win at the other's expense), the person who benefits from a transaction (wins the game) is referred to as White, and the victim is referred to as Black, corresponding to the pieces in a chess game.

Some of this terminology became a part of the popular American vocabulary.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Be...es_People_Play
This is, IMO, another one of those Knowledge is Power things wherein understanding what's going on in our heads—and why—with interpersonal relationships can help us recognize & cope with some of these conditioned responses/behavior patterns. FWIW, I consider Games People Play an "Everyone Must/Should Read". YMMV.

Caveat: Your mother may have read Games People Play herself, and/or be familiar with transactional analysis (TA to its adherents).

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote