Thread: New and scared
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 08:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New and scared

Hi everyone,

I am a new member and would welcome any views/advice about my experience. I believe I have PN as my symptoms seem very consistant with lots of people here..

It started with extremely sharp stabbing pains in my big toe one night three months ago, repeated a few nights later, accompanied by a general ache during the day for few weeks. It became more frequent, appeared in my other foot slightly, with a range of aches and pains all over my left foot when walking. Two weeks ago I developed a permanent numb/pulling feeling between first two toes. Strangely, the sharp night pain went for a week but has reappeared more often now.

I've had x ray, ultrasound, blood tests (including B12 and diabetes), all clean.
I saw a podiatrist last week who said I had neuromas. The numb patch is a trapped nerve and I need physiotherapy. I was initially ecstatic at this news, so much so that I didn't think to query the coincidence of a trapped nerve at the same time as all the foot pain and why the neuromas didn't show up on a scan.
I seriously doubt this diagnosis and am seeing a neurologist in November. I am also going back to my GP to ask for an MRI (the doc who did the ultrasound suggested this)..

I have been absolutely devastated by all of this. I am a teacher and have been off work with depression. I started taking anti depressants three weeks ago which have only taken the edge off.
I am completely obssessed, my friends are all fed up listening to me going on about it and I hate getting up every day to face it all over again. I feel like my whole life is on hold and I have nothing to look forward to but a lifetime of increasing pain.
I am/was very active and sporty, working part time and looking forward to retiring (I'm 54).

Sorry to sound so bleak, but it's how I feel. I have read so many people's stories on this forum, far worse than mine. It seems a great place to give/receive support.

Karen
kazzar1958 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote