View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Welcome to NeuroTalk:

I wonder if you are up for trying a couple of things?

1) Do you have Salonpas patches where you are? These have
methylsalicylate in them, and work for some foot pain. You may
have tendonitis, and if so these work well. Another alternative is RX Lidoderm patches. These are more expensive than the OTC Salonpas. Salonpas makes many versions, the best is Original one. Place one patch over the instep, so part of it goes up to the big toe joint. If your problem is inflammatory, the patch will help.
I use these frequently.
I believe that Salonpas originated in Asia...therefore they are international. We didn't get them here until about 15 yrs ago, where I found them as samples in a drugstore.
http://www.salonpas.us/product/salonpas-original/
I had a knot on my Achilles tendon that was very painful and would not go away... and these took care of it in a week. So I am very partial to them now. There is a "new" arthritis patch...but I don't use those as they are expensive. Just read the label and make sure methylsalicylate is in them. That is the most active ingredient.
If these work for you --you may not need aspirin at all.

2) Have you tried aspirin in any form? I like AlkaSeltzer Original the best as it is fast and aspirin in solution is less likely to affect the stomach. If this works, it suggests an inflammatory process.

3) Try soaking in lukewarm epsom salts. This provides magnesium to the toes thru the skin of the feet, and can help with pain. Magnesium blocks a pain receptor in the tissues called the NMDA receptor. If your feet hurt at bedtime, do this before bed.

The big toe is a site for referred pain from the back. Lower lumbar refers there. Also the knees will send a shooting pain to the big toe (this happened to me).
This is a dermatome chart:
http://www.backpain-guide.com/Chapte...culopathy.html
It is based on the gestational development of nerves from the spine. The areas with letters show the paths of pain from the spine down the legs. L4 is the major big toe area.
I dislocated my right knee many years ago, and finally (should have gone sooner) to a chiropractor, who readjusted my knee with an adjustment. Up until that adjustment, I had a terrible sharp pain in my right big toe... and bingo it was gone in an instant. There were stretches she gave me to prevent this from happening again.

You will want to get your B12 actual test result, as low results are still passed as "normal". 400pg/ml is the lowest # now to be considered normal.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote