Thread: New and scared
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

The aspirin works somehow. I've used it for years, (I am 66) and it always helped me. My PN was mostly hypothyroid induced, but I also have spurs on my ankle (L) and cracked sesamoid bones in the ball of both feet, and some arthritis in my big toe joints, in addition. This last X-ray in July showed calcium deposits in my achilles tendon! Those are new.

There are many posts here on AlkaSeltzer Original formula. It works so well because it also has the bicarb aspect, and that will
temporarily block histamine receptors too. I found this hint years ago from an Environmental doctor who used TriSalts to block an allergic response in the office for patients being challenged by a food intolerance exposure. TriSalts does not have Aspirin in it but is very similar in its other actions. If you search AlkaSeltzer here you'll find alot of discussions. We have also had some people who just benefited from aspirin alone. I have learned over the years to just accept some "mysteries"... The AlkaSeltzer seems to block burning pain the most. Burning is difficult to address, so AlkaSeltzer is popular here now for some. I don't recommend everyday aspirin, because of its bleeding complications, etc. But when people do respond to aspirin, it reveals something about the origin of the pain in the first place.

Magnesium helps most people. The thought is up to 70% of people are low in this mineral today because of changing food habits. But oral is good. It is just that YOUR problem is at the end of the circulation line...the toe. If there is constriction at a small vessel level there which I suspect...pain constricts... then oral won't get there where you need it. But the other 300 or so functions of magnesium, including your bones, muscles etc, will benefit. Here in the States we have a new lotion called Morton's Epsom lotion, which you probably don't have. But it is tremendously wonderful, and I've dropped all oral supplements in favor of this new lotion! It even fixed 80% of my hypertension so I can use the smallest dose now of one drug instead of high dose 3 others! Soaking with the epsom salts will relax you before bedtime, and you will sleep better too. Once people experience the "magnesium miracle"...they never give it up. Magnesium OXIDE is not absorbed, don't use it.
Here is my magnesium thread:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread1138.html
I just looked and it is up to 99,000+ views now! It has a
wealth of all sorts of information on it.

So if you get the Salonpas, use the Original formula --they are small patches and put one down your instep, over most of the first metatarsal bone leading to your big toe. You can also cut them and wrap 1/2 around the toe. I sometimes also swing one 1/2 along the arch around the ball of the foot with 1/2 reaching the big toe tendon. I use these so much I get them at Costco discount in 120 ct big boxes ...LOL They work anywhere IMO ...and I've used them everywhere except my face. The packaging is odd, so I put opened envelops into a Ziploc plastic baggy once I open the stock package. This keeps them fresh.

You can use the Salonpas on the elbow too. I'd put one above and one below the bend. Enough of the medication will get in that way. I've had doctors laugh at me, but I don't care...it works. I only pulse them for a few days, and usually the pain recedes. I just threw my lower back out, and stacked 5 of the small patches back there with hubby's help and was better in 2 days + some muscle relaxing with Flexeril only at bedtime.

I don't take any RX medication for my remaining PN + arthritis issues, but I do use 1/2 tramadol at night sometimes. I used it when my back went out too. I don't like opiates as they depress me horribly. But the tramadol does not. Sometimes I cannot tolerate a whole 50mg one however.

Tramadol does have a warning with SSRIs because it has some SSRI characteristics too. But in low dose you might be able to try it. Tramadol has to be activated in the liver to its active metabolite to work on pain. If you have a genetic error in accomplishing this, the drug won't work. There are people who just cannot do this, then escalate to high doses, then get an awful seizure side effect. So if it doesn't work for you, don't use it.

I have controlled most of my pain, PN, and arthritis with topical and supplemental interventions. I don't like the RX drugs with their terrible side effect profile or cost or failures. I've been lucky that after a year my hypothyroid PN did resolve about 80-90%, and then I got old and insulin resistence started and arthritis. I used to stand long hours in my job...sometimes 60 hrs + a week.
So my feet have a mix of wear and tear and metabolic damage.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote