Thread: New and scared
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Karen, I know that this is terrifying right now, but you will get used to some of the symptoms, we all do. That doesn't mean you should stop looking for answers, or not try all of the excellent suggestions Mrs. D. and others put forward. They are safe, inexpensive, and helpful for general health in addition to being effective in many cases of neuropathy. But we tend to stop panicking as the symptoms become more regular and predictable, even if they progress.

Many of us find the pain abates while walking. Even if you pay for it later it is worthwhile for the exercise and mood boost.

Mine started in childhood, but I did not realize that. My toes started going numb in my early 30's. I was terrified that this meant I was diabetic so I didn't mention it to my doctor. By the time I was 46 it had progressed to my ankles, and i was also disgnosed with bilateral carpal tunnel. A foot infection sent me to the podiatrist who freaked out at the complete loss of sensitivity and sent me to a neurologist. Now the symptoms have moved up to my hips and upper arms. All of this has been gradual and I was so relieved to find out that I wasn't diabetic that a diagnosis of CMT ( hereditary neuropathy) was reassuring, even though it will probably mean a wheelchair in the future. I am 51 with a husband and three sons at home, youngest 14. My eldest daughter is married with a baby boy and another on the way, my eldest son works in China and has CMT as well.

Do not underestimate your ability to heal and recover, but also do not underestimate your ability to cope with this disease, however it turns out. I taught high school English a year ago, with a stool to lean on, an electric heater, warm clothes and gloves, and Percocet. Try to keep busy and not focus too much on your health. Feel free to share your feelings here, there is a lot of experience and comfort to be found, but realize that is it hard for others to understand. Let your family know exactly what you need from them, then let it go.

Hope that you are feeling better soon
Susanne
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (10-07-2013), Wide-O (10-14-2013)