View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 02:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
The test for potassium is not accurate. It can result in artificially raised values. This is called factitious results. This means it is possible for a low reading to measure normal, and a normal level may report high.

If the blood sample is not handled perfectly, the red cells burst and release their high potassium content into the serum. Some labs will report "lysed sample" indicating that the cells have dumped the potassium this way, but not all do this. They can even burst if the tourniquet is too tight when the sample is taken.

So you don't really know if your test was perfectly done. Only if you get a low report, can you be fairly sure that the cells are not lysed. So eating potassium rich foods, is basically a good health habit anyway. You need 4500mg a day from food to maintain all the functions in your body. That is quite a bit, and most people don't get that amount anyway.

If you are anemic and get a B12 shot, you will possibly stress your potassium levels, because the B12 stimulates new red cell formation quickly, and the red cells consume alot of potassium. Symptoms of this are weakness and muscle cramping. That is why your doctor tested your potassium.
I got it! so, in this case, with a level of over 900 obtained after 1 month of sublinguals and 2 months of 1/month shots (which means 2 shots), how do you advise me to continue the b12 treatment? My doc said to stop all b12 intake but i would like to continue at least 500 mcg shots...What do you say?

Thank you!
raluca_o is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote