View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly33 View Post
Hello - Please excuse me if I do not use proper terminology. I know so little about this disease.

October 2009 - My dad had a heart attack, then tripled bypass at which time I found out he has COPD. (I am unsure of when he was diagnosed)

My family noticed he was having some tremors in one hand with some head shaking or jerking and after 2 years with much convincing, he saw a neurologist who ruled out a stroke/TIA's and he was diagnosed with Parkinson's in December of 2009. The neuro put him on a vitamin regimen because he said the meds used to treat Parkinson's have very bad side effects and he was not at a stage that warranted medication - yet. It seemed to keep symptoms at bay for almost 3 years.

He just went for his annual check up 4 months ago and the doctor said he would fail a field sobriety test but he claims the doctor said it is okay to drive.

We are noticing other things but when we ask him, he says he's fine; he cannot stand without supporting himself on a chair, shopping cart counter, etc. The tremors are worse now. He also appears to have intermittent eating or swallowing difficulty, to the extent that it makes him throw up.

He refuses to go to the doctor but I'm extremely concerned for him. He is home alone during the day because my mom works. We just don't know what to do at this point, he refuses to discuss any of it much less learn about the disease.

Any insight, advice, or education is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
So sorry you are going through this. This forum is a great place to get information about PD, research about PD, and the people here are wonderful. I would also recommend you and your mom and other family members go to the PD caregiver's website, just google Parkinson's and caregiving and you will find it. The caregiving website will have more information about how to live and care for someone with PD, obviously, which it sounds like your family needs at this point.

You can learn a ton here about PD and research involving it, past, present, and future, both mainstream medical and alternatives people are trying. The caregiving site will help you learn what your dad is going through, and how others help their loved ones with various issues....good luck. Learning as much as you can will help you help your mom and dad the most.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote